Our mission is to improve the lives of youth, families and the communities in Howard County and to support Kiwanis International in their mission throughout the world.
We have served the communities within Howard County for over 75 years! This past March, we celebrated our 80th anniversary.
Kiwanis International is a fellowship of nearly 600,000 members in thousands of clubs across more than 80 countries around the world. Every year, Kiwanians initiate 150,000 service projects and raise more than $100 million for our communities.
The Kiwanis Club of Ellicott City, Inc. consists of five thousand dollars ($5,000) for the first two years ($1,250 per semester) to assist a scholastically advanced student, in financial need and living in Howard County and a member of a Howard County High School Key Club, to attend an accredited university.
To Qualify, The Student Must:
- Demonstrate financial need supported by the free application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA).
- Be a resident of Howard County for a period of three consecutive years prior to making application.
- Maintain a 3.0 grade point average.
- Submit an essay.
- Agree to participate in at least one community service project each year of the scholarship.
Procedures For Applying For The Award:
- Download a KCECS (Kiwanis Club of Ellicott City Scholarship) application via the link below . Complete and submit this application (4 pages). All data must be entered.
- Submit official high school transcripts showing minimum 3.0 point average. This record should be in a sealed envelope from the school. Due to COVID-19 and the continuation of school closures, in lieu of your official high school transcript you may include your last report card showing your grades and GPA.
- Submit an essay describing what you consider service in the community to be and what you could do to improve active participation in the community by local Kiwanis clubs. In addition, describe a potential service project that the Ellicott City Kiwanis Club or one of our Key Clubs might undertake to improve the community. The essay should be no less than two or more than four pages.
- Submit evidence that the student has resided in Howard County for the previous three (3) years. Previous school records are acceptable.
- Provide a photocopy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This should reflect the financial data that you submit to the Department of Education.
- Submit the correctly completed application form and associated papers postmarked or hand delivered by midnight the 30th of April to:
Kiwanis Club of Ellicott City Scholarship Chair P.O. Box 788 Ellicott City, MD 21041 Email: EllicottCityKiwanisScholarship@gmail.com Questions can be referred to email address above as well.
- A committee from the Kiwanis Club of Ellicott City will collect and review the applications, make the selection and notify the awardee by May 15.
- All papers must be signed at the appropriate places and all papers stated above must be included. Lack of signatures or necessary forms may cause the application to be disallowed.
- The amount of the award will be twenty-five hundred ($2,500) dollars each year for two years. It will be the student’s responsibility to ensure an invoice is sent to the club for each semester. An invoice is necessary for payment.
- It is the responsibility of the student to ensure the tuition bills are submitted to the Kiwanis Club of Ellicott City before September 1 for the fall semester and the end of February for the spring semester. If the tuition bills are not received by these dates the tuition for that semester could be forfeited.
- The scholarship awards will be made without discrimination as to race, creed, gender, or national origin of the recipients and they shall be extended without limitation because of physical disability of the potential recipients.
Following Award of the Scholarship, the recipient will be expected to attend one Ellicott City Kiwanis meeting and participate in one service project each year while the scholarship is effective.